Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, June 23

Yay Consumerism!

So for the first time in god knows how long I found myself with a day off on a Saturday. That means no swarms of people. No whining, cranky, (in some cases) drooling, old people. No screaming children. No gossiping soccer moms. Halleluiah.

Instead, my sister convinced me I wanted to go shopping downtown. I somehow found myself on a crowded bus, in a mall, and dragged into clothing stores shoving ads into my face for things I can’t afford and would never want to wear anyway.

I can’t say that I have any social anxieties, but put me on a bus so crowded there are people pushing against me in every direction, and I’d rather wait half and hour for the next bus. Push me into a Stitches where I’m glared at by the empty eye sockets of cute “mainstream punk” skulls in bright purple and rosy pink, and what you’re actually seeing is my brain cells popping one at a time like bubble wrap.

Within 2 hours I had somehow spent $100. How? I have no idea. If I look in my bag, I see the sweater I stuffed in there this morning, (just in case,) my ipod, two books (both from used bookstores), a new pair of headphones whose price made me cringe, and one of those tiny white rectangular La Senza bags that looks so clean with it’s silver writing on the white background.

I keep telling myself that I only got what I needed, and I still have to save for my trip. The little devil on my shoulder is trying to convince me that I actually need movies, books, and cargo pants, but I’m trying to ignore it.

Get thee behind me.

That’s where my sister comes in I guess. I don’t know if I like shopping with her or not. On the one hand, she alternatingly poked and dragged me out of three stores, but then again, she also egged me into buying two of my purchases.

So the day ended happily with me sleeping on the bus home, my new headphones blaring all the way to the new house where I now sit. Typing, reflecting, and yes, procrastinating to finish my unpacking.

Feeling: Distinctly odd
Listening to: Apocalyptica feat. Nina Hagen - Seemann

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home