Name:
Location: Canada

Monday, January 30

Movie Madness

In the last few days I finally crawled out of my room into the big wide world that is… the world! *cue thunder clashes, halleluiah sung by a choir, etc* …And then I might have promptly crawled to the nearest theater to catch up on some much needed movie time. So here’s the report of some movies happening today.

Water:
Fabulous story behind the movie, look it up on IMBD. Or any other place really… but try to find screen shots of the movie – no dice.
I actually really loved this movie even though I came out feeling disturbed and haunted. (Also I saw it with a friend of mine who ended up crying through a lot of it, which made me feel a little guilty about bringing her.)
True – It’s not the happiest movie I’ve ever seen in my life.
Yes – I can see why it might be seen as anti-Hindi
Yes – I understand perfectly why it got the rating it has (18A)
Yes – I loved it.

Memoirs of a Geisha:
I have to admit, I am a sucker for reading the book before seeing the movie – even if it does make me whine afterwards “but that didn’t happen in the book! *sob*”
About a year ago, I had heard the term ‘geisha’ thrown around a bit so I picked up the book to find out. Too bad I gave up after page 2 and looked it up in the dictionary instead. But when I saw the trailer, I finally picked up – and finished – the whole book. (Which I *might* have read in one sitting instead of cleaning up) I would definitely recommend the book for anyone. A classmate of mine read it and loved it as well which surprised me since he is in fact, a guy. Not only that, but he’s a guy who gives the impression that he’s not interested in anything that doesn’t have a guitar string attached to it.
Anyway, to get back to the point, when I saw the movie, there were really no surprises except when the movie skipped over major plot point or two. The main thing was I knew what was coming. Movies that were originally books are great for really, one reason only which also could be considered a fault. When it’s put on screen you get mental pictures of the story your sorry mind couldn’t put together before. The drawback is – and I found this with the Harry Potter books, (am I alone in this one?) if the mental image is so different from what you yourself pictured, it spoils the book for you. Well that’s kind of what happened with me and Memoirs.
But kudos to some great screen shots of Japan.

Anyway, I’ll wrap it up there, and maybe write some more after I see some more movies because I have one exam and at least a week off! Huzzah for me!
*read* Also, I would like to say once again that I really like having people comment. See that little button Right Beneath This Blog that says ‘comment’ – click it. Leave comment. Make my evening.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're stuff always makes me laugh. I'm always excited when I see that you have something new on your blog because I love it. And, yes, I will have to admit that you are one of the few people who write smartly and with some pazzaz...if that's how you spell it. I'm not going to say read MY blog, becauase if I had one, it would be very boring, and because I don't think I could write down all the things I'm thinking of and have people read over them. Thanks for writing...I'll be looking for your published memoirs hopefully soon.

your friend, Julie

P.s. I miss you in math. Sitting there with your book infront of your textbook, sitting in the front row. Did you leave because it might have gotten hazordous to your health to put up with that stench? (hahaha)

11:50 p.m.  
Blogger Dorota said...

*sobs* What about Pride and Prejudice? The Chronicles of Narnia? The End of the Spear? Oh, the hollow pit of emptiness!
Well, I can't outshine the other blogger with the wonderful speech, so... I'm glad that you finally updated. At least YOU saw those two movies! :)
D

9:23 p.m.  
Blogger AfterVerner said...

I'm just following instructions here, so I dont know much of what to do next because you forgot to specify. You've got quite the expansive blog eh? It's HUGE! Oh, and movies are grand. ;)

6:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home