Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, June 22

I’m having a hard time believing this but…

So I’m at work tonight, and it’s really been a hellish week work-wise. There was a mix up with the schedule (not my fault), and so I thought I’d be nice and offer to make up for what the screw up my boss blamed on me by covering for another girl at work (so she could go on a drunken camping trip I could have gone to *if I wasn’t working*.) The thing is, at my work there are two… departments if you will. So I came in on my weekend, went to work *upstairs* not knowing really anything at all and just maybe making some stuff up as I went along.

Which brings me back to today. Today, I went into work – happily reunited with my beloved cash register and I found out that the people working upstairs were complaining because I didn’t do some stuff that apparently needed to be done. And you know what? I actually felt horrible, even though:
a) *Technically* it wasn’t my shift
b) I was bailing my boss out of a tight staffing problem and saving another girl from working 12 hours straight
c) I had no clue what I was doing
d) There was no one around to ask what to do
e) I wrote a very nice apologetic note for the people on the next shift explaining *why* some stuff wasn’t put away

That’s not even the best part. Today was a really nice day at work even though the bridge players were hell as usual, (“This isn’t a hot sandwich? Where’s the gravy? But I wanted a *hot* beef sandwich!” “ Well I’m terribly sorry but I’m not sure what sandwich you’re talking about unless it’s maybe a Baron of Beef…” “NO. It was a HOT BEEF SANDWICH” “Well I don’t see it on the menu…” and so on) but otherwise, it was nice.

Then later today my mom was telling me how she was checking out this local job site and found a data entry job. Not only that, it’s pretty close to my house. But it doesn’t pay as well as my job now, and I’m not even sure they want one of the newly graduated. (Still, I somehow get the feeling I’m going to be shoved into the office by my mother, résumé in hand.) Now, I bitch about my job all the time. It’s tough, I have to suck up to old ladies, my boss it an utter moron, old people *do not tip well* - sorry if I offend, but it’s true. Even still, the idea of handing in my two weeks notice for a nine to five job, not seeing the chef who gave me my “metal” name, leaving my regulars behind – well it’s almost… sad.

So as much as I hate my job, I think I actually like it…
Frightening…



Listening to: Mish Fadilak by Natacha Atlas
Feeling: ...odd as explained above
Phrase/ Word of the day: Life's a bitch, so am I (it's just so much fun to say out loud!)

1 Comments:

Blogger AfterVerner said...

that makes one of us. I'll tell you a little story. Back in January I decided I would accompany my friend to the Philippines in the summer. That is expensive, so I got a job for it. At Mcdonalds. And all was going well. But quite recently the people we were going to meet up with over there came tothe conclusion that they couldn't accept minors. By age, I'm a minor. Dang. So now I'm stuck with a job that I got for a purpose no longer existing. Yay...

8:59 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home