Unknown Heroes are Unknown to Me
I was going to celebrate the unknown heroes of our world today. The only problem was, I didn’t know any. So I asked my friend if she could think of any. She couldn’t. Mind you, she did point out that if they’re unknown heroes, how can they be known?
Good point…
So I changed the criteria to unsung heroes.
The problem remained that I wanted random dudes that contributed to the world in some weird and/or random way. Or if they didn’t contribute, at least made their attempts amusing.
Anyway, long story short, the idea was a disaster. Unless, of course, I wanted to turn this blog into a show for little kiddies by proclaim proudly “everyone is special and important”!
For the record, I blatantly do not want to do that. Is this because I’ve become cynical?
BINGO *beams *
It’s also because reality doesn’t work like that. And I’m personally against disillusioning kids with that idea that everyone is special. It’s a nice idea, but it leads to messed up pre-teens thinking that ‘if I’m so special why do I look like a geeks, act like a geek, hate geeks, work my butt off to get grades that my parents aren’t satisfied with, can’t do anything particularly well, and why the hell can’t I look like the girls on TV?’
Anyway, as I so aptly demonstrated just there, it’s not a good idea to get onto the topic of individuality . So I’m going to leave it at this:
Either everyone is special, or no one is. The glass is half full or half empty. It’s up to you which it is.
Good point…
So I changed the criteria to unsung heroes.
The problem remained that I wanted random dudes that contributed to the world in some weird and/or random way. Or if they didn’t contribute, at least made their attempts amusing.
Anyway, long story short, the idea was a disaster. Unless, of course, I wanted to turn this blog into a show for little kiddies by proclaim proudly “everyone is special and important”!
For the record, I blatantly do not want to do that. Is this because I’ve become cynical?
BINGO *beams *
It’s also because reality doesn’t work like that. And I’m personally against disillusioning kids with that idea that everyone is special. It’s a nice idea, but it leads to messed up pre-teens thinking that ‘if I’m so special why do I look like a geeks, act like a geek, hate geeks, work my butt off to get grades that my parents aren’t satisfied with, can’t do anything particularly well, and why the hell can’t I look like the girls on TV?’
Anyway, as I so aptly demonstrated just there, it’s not a good idea to get onto the topic of individuality . So I’m going to leave it at this:
Either everyone is special, or no one is. The glass is half full or half empty. It’s up to you which it is.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home